My research project is on single sex schools. I would like to gain knowledge on the positive and negative effects of same sex schools on males and females. I do not believe that the results will be identical for both genders. Maybe same sex schools will be beneficial for girls, but not for boys. Another thing I would like to discover is whether or not a single sex school has a negative affect on an individual’s social behaviors. There are a couple of different reasons why I chose this topic, and why I would like to acquire this information.
The first reason I chose this topic of single sex schools is because I went to a single sex high school. It was my decision to go to this school, but for some of my friends it was their parents or guardians compelling them to go. They believed it was the best thing for their children because they thought it would give their child the best opportunity for them to work to their full capability. However, I would like to know if the parents were really making the best decision for their children.
I enjoyed going to my high school, and the fact that it was a single sex school. Since there were no boys I was able to go to school everyday without worrying about what I looked like. Most of the time the girls in my school did not wear make up or do their hair, while girls that I saw at coed schools got completely ready every morning. Besides the benefit of not worrying about my appearance I was also able to form great friendships with the girls in my class. Without boys around us all the time we were able to talk more about ourselves and things we all may have in common. For example, we were able to have conversations about our boyfriends or about personal issues without worrying about a boy over hearing. Of course there were times I wished I went to a coed school where I would be able to have things like homecoming, boy sports teams, and even boys in the classroom to make jokes, but when I think of all the good times I had with my class I definitely would not change my decision.
There is one time that stands out in my mind that made me notice a huge difference in going to a coed and going to a single sex school. This was my Junior year of high school when my boyfriend and I broke up. We were together for a long period of time; therefore, I was very upset. I did not even want to go to school the next day, but I had to. When I got to school that morning I thought I was going to get asked many questions on what happened and why we broke up, but this did not happen at all. My whole class baked brownies, cake, and cookies to make me feel better, and to help me get my mind off of it. They did not ask me questions because all they were worried about was making me happy. The only things they would say are “boys are stupid” and “don’t worry about it.” They did not expect me to explain anything to them until I was ready. This really gave me the opportunity to fully appreciate my decision of going to a single sex school because I know this would not have been able to occur in a coed school.
The next reason why I chose this topic is because my little sister is trying to choose what high school she would like to go to. Even though I believe going to a single sex school benefited me and helped me mature, I would like to know if this would be the best option for her. Therefore, I will try and obtain as much information as possible to facilitate her decision.
When I tell a person that I went to a single sex school it usually results in them having a shocking facial expression. Then, it commonly leads to a controversy on whether a single sex school is beneficial, and they soon ask why I wanted to be in a single sex environment. Hopefully, by doing this project I will learn more about single sex schools, and how they affect males and females. This will help me explain to others why I wanted to be in this type of environment for high school. It will even help me assist others while they make their decision on what type high school to go to; a coed or single sex school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment