Monday, April 16, 2007

Final Draft of Reflection Paper

During elementary and high school, writing was never my favorite thing. I always preferred answering Math questions or doing work that had a definite answer. However, this class let me see writing a little differently. It showed me that the more you write, the better you can get. Also that it does not matter what you write about, as long as you write. It even showed me that I didn’t have to go digging for information in a library in order to find research for a report. The first report I wrote in this class was about tanning. Doing this report really taught me about my writing. It showed me what I needed help with, and what I should try and focus on while writing.

The first thing I learned I needed help with was the flow of my report. I have to focus more on how to get all my thoughts and information to go together. For example, I need to get the paragraph before to go with the one after. In order to do this I should add transitions from paragraph to paragraph. Another way to improve the flow of the paper would be by combining more sentences in order to get the writing to go together better. For instance, I should add conjunctions to make two sentences into one. This will help me with my writing, which will make the report easier for the reader to understand, and will help the reader become more interested in what the writer is discussing in the paper.

Another thing I learned from writing the paper on tanning is that I should provide as many examples as possible when writing. This gives the reader a better idea of what is going on in the paper. It will provide the reader with more vivid explanations about what they are reading.

From writing that one paper on tanning I learned about the strengths and weaknesses I possess as a writer. Now I know what I should focus on for my next paper. I am very happy we were able to revise the paper. Moreover, that we were able to acquire input from classmates and from the professor on how we can improve it. I never had the opportunity to do this before in a writing class, and I definitely benefited from it.

No comments: