Sunday, February 25, 2007

Confused =/

Right now I am kind of confused about my major. I am currently a speech pathology major. Speech pathologists help people with speech impediments. In my case I would want to do it with children, but some people are speech pathologists in hospitals or places like that to help older people that may have had a stroke or something. This seems like something I would enjoy, but I'm not sure. This is because ever since I was little I always wanted to teach. By being a speech pathologist I will kind of be teaching, but I will not have my own classroom or anything like that. Most of the work will actually be one on one. So I really do want to teach. It is something that I can see myself doing since I have done so much with kids since I was around 13-14 years old. It is also something I know I will enjoy.

The only problem is being a third grade teacher does not make that much money. When I get older I would like to be able to support myself and my family on my own just in case anything happens. And I know by being a Speech Pathologist I will definatly have enough money to do that. They say "money doesn't buy happiness" but in a way it does. If I enjoy being a speech pathologist and I make more money I know I will definately be happier than if I was a teacher living pay check to pay check. I know I won't be misserable being a speech pathologist I just don't know if I'll regret not being a teacher. I wish I could minor in education, but you can't here at St. John's. So I don't know I'm just confused. I'll probally take a course in education next semester to help me make up my mind. Also I am probally going to observe a speech pathologist soon so I have a better idea of what I will be doing if I become a speech pathologist in the future.

No comments: